The Narrative Lectionary now moves us into the Gospel of John. Reading and preaching through the Gospel of John will be a new experience. The Revised Common Lectionary, the lectionary we followed for many years before we began using the Narrative Lectionary, is based on a three year cycle. Each of the three years focuses on one of the Synoptic Gospels: Matthew, Mark, and Luke. (They are called the Synoptic Gospels because they all follow the same basic outline.) In the Revised Common Lectionary, readings from John's Gospel are interspersed here and there through out the three year cycle, but are not read in any consistent or consecutive way.
Here are the stories and readings from John's Gospel for the month of January:
• January 2 “Jesus Says Come and See” John 1:35-51
• January 9 “Wedding at Cana” John 2:1-11
• January 16 “Jesus Cleanses the Temple” John 2:13-25
• January 23 “Nicodemus” John 3:1-21
• January 30 “The Woman at the Well” John 4:1-42